Lesson Review

Author:Gregg Witkin
ETP Title:Video Demonstration
Organization:Citrix Systems, Inc.
ETP Type:Creating a New Lesson
Grade Level(s):11,12
Subject Area(s):Technology

Lesson Abstract:

This curriculum is focused on having students learn to develop simple, yet effective video demonstration techniques like the ones used in my summer fellowship with Citrix.  The outcome should be a short video that demonstrates how to do something in a clear and concise way to help someone else learn. 

They will use both video and non video tools to accomplish their goal.

Note: Any teacher looking to complete this lesson should have some prior video experience or a desire to learn post production (editing) techniques and has a few resources available to them.

Focal Standards

Career Technical Education Standards for the Arts, Media, and Design Pathway

A2.2 Know the component steps and skills required to design, edit, and produce a 
production for audio, video, electronic, or printed presentation. 

Measurable Objectives:

The measurable outcomes will include

1. plan and shoot a video demonstration
2. edit and create a final video product
3. present video for critical review.

Assessment:

Students will be assessed using a rubric that will be scaled based on skills and their proficiencies.  

21st Century Skill(s)

Learning and Innovation Skills/Creativity and Innovation

• Creatively create content
  • Make it relevant to current needs

21st Century Skill(s) Application

Students will practice that skill by first thinking of something that needs to be demonstrated by video.  They will write their steps used in that skill and plan video shots to highlight those skills.  Once shot they will edit those and arrange them in a coherent way to show best practices.  Once they edit they will present their video for a critical review by and educator and their peers.

Fellowship Description

My fellowship project is to create meaningful videos to both increase brand awareness and engage the open source community.  The skills I am using are planning, shooting and editing videos, working with engineering teams, QA teams, and executives to craft a message that is consistent with their brand.  Citrix builds networks and is developing a robust cloud environment for which business and users and compute.

The connection between the ETP and Fellowship. :

I will be showing the videos I made while at my Citrix fellowship to my digital media classes as a way to demonstrate and end product video.  I will break it down and show the students the steps that were used and help them discover the pathways to their own videos.  Students will get to use exceptional equipment and cutting edge video editing software and the connection between this type of work and real world work will be explored.  The fellowship at Citrix will help me refine those skills needed to produce quality video work and is directly transferable to my media classes.

Instructional Plan:

Identification:

Students will write a simple paragraph explaining what they have chosen to demonstrate and why they have selected that.  Once it is approved they can move onto the second step in the process. (Story Arc)

Story Arc:

Students write a detailed description of what they will be demonstrating and give a step by step description of the process to complete their action.  Once approved they move onto the third step in the process. (See and Hear Chart)

See and Hear Chart:

In this step students fill out a see and hear chart which details what the audience will see and hear for each step of the demonstration.  Needs approval to move on to the fourth step. (Storyboard)

Storyboard:

Students create a functional storyboard that details the shots they will use for each segment of the see and hear chart.  Sketches are expected in each box but they need not be detailed sketches, as long as I understand the premise of the shot.  Students need to convey the following areas in their storyboards: shot angle, camera movement, placement of subject, lighting, and directors instructions.  Once approved students will be allowed to check out a camera, tripod, and microphone.

Peer Review:

Several times during the process I ask groups of students to gather together and discuss the stage they are in.  They are to give constructive feedback about the positives of the project and suggest some things that might be of assistance.  For a project like this I put a formal peer review after the story arc and the storyboard, but what I have noticed is that students engage in informal peer review all the time while discussing the project with their friends in class.

The following is a simple recipe to follow:

1. Story Identification
2. Write up plan (see/hear chart)
3. Create a storyboard
4. Shoot video
5. Post production editing
6. Final presentation

Supplies:

Students will need access to the following:

1. Camera (video or still)
2. Microphone or recording device
3. Tripod
4. Computer with editing software installed

Below is a resource list for anyone involved in youth media

Video Editing software (low cost)
Basic
IMovie
Windows Movie Maker
Camtasia
Premiere Elements

Professional (much higher cost)
Avid
Premiere Pro
Final Cut Pro
Vegas Pro 11

Animation Software (cost varies)
Premiere Elements (stop motion)
DragonFrame 3.0 (professional Stop motion)
Flash Professional
After Effects
Camera 4D

Other Noteworthy Programs
Photoshop Elements
Photoshop Professional
Illustrator

Tutorial Sites (some free content, but to do deeper costs $)
photo.tutsplus.com
ae.tutsplus.com
psd.tutsplus.com
lynda.com
youtube.com

Places to purchase gear
bhphotovideo.com
samys.com

Sites to learn about youth media
youthvoices.adobe.com/essentials (must register, but it's free)
youthmediaproject.org
tigweb.org/

What you will need to start a basic program
1. video/still cameras
2. microphone (shotgun or clip mics)
3. computer capable of handling video editing tasks
4. tripods
5. creativity and flexibility

Bibliographic or other resources you used in creating this curriculum:

No outside resources were used in the development of this lesson.

Keywords:

demonstration video, video editing, video, editing

Attachments: