<< Back to results

Lesson Review

ETP Title:A Great Place to Learn
Organization:NetApp
ETP Type:Creating a New Lesson
Grade Level(s):K,1,2
Subject Area(s):Language Arts,Social Science

Lesson Abstract:

Elementary students will work together to create a class book titled  A Great Place to Learn.They will brainstorm the people, places and practices that make their school special and will work in teams to create a page about their person or area. Students will conduct interviews, take pictures and draw pictures to show why their school is a great place to learn. They will then add their work to a collective book to show the wonderful things their school has to offer.

Focal Standards

K.4 Students compare and contrast the locations of people, places, and environments and describe their characteristics.

5. Demonstrate familiarity with the school’s layout, environs, and the jobs people do there.

Measurable Objectives:

• Students will interview people at their school to find out their importance to the school community.
  • Students will work in teams of 2-3 to create a page showing the name of the person, a description of what they do and how they help the school and a picture.
  • All students will add their pages to a collective class book.

Assessment:

• Students will create one page of the book stating the name of the person interviewed, where they are found, and their importance to the school. Students must also illustrate the work.
  • Students will be scored according to the rubric.

21st Century Skill(s)

Communication and Collaboration

Collaborate with Others

• Demonstrate ability to work effectively and respectfully with diverse teams
  • Exercise flexibility and willingness to be helpful in making necessary compromises to accomplish a common goal
  • Assume shared responsibility for collaborative work, and value the individual contributions made by each team member

21st Century Skill(s) Application

Students will work together to identify the areas that make their school special. Then they will work in teams of three to create a page dedicated to their area. All of the work will put into a class book.

Fellowship Description

For my summer fellowship, I am working at NetApp as part of their Great Place to Work Team. We are working on the 2013 submission to Great Places to Work. I am the "owner" of the environmental part of the submission. I had to research, update and collect data and pictures on how NetApp is an environmentally sustainable company.  I am using MS Word, Excel, InDesign and Sharepoint as well as intranet research skills. I am also editing and checking grammar. I have had the opportunity to communicate and gather information from people all throughout the company. Primarily, I have been exposed to the public relations and human resources departments at NetApp. Net App is tech compmany that helps operations to maximize data storage. They have been named one of Fortune Magazine's Great Places to Work for the past 10 years.

The connection between the ETP and Fellowship. :

I am going to share my work with my students by telling them about the project. When NetApp once again is named a great place to work by Fortune, I will bring in the magazine to show them what I spent my summer working on. I will then inspire them to to create their own book showing why our school is a great place to learn. The focal standard deals with identifying the people and environments that make up our school, by approaching these in a manner similar to the "Great Place to Work" submission, I will be able to engage the children in a fun and exciting manner.

Instructional Plan:

(Time required 1-2 hours, preferably over 3 days.)

Opening/Hook

1. Read Pete the Cat Rocking in His School Shoes, by Eric Litman and James Dean.
  2. Discuss the people and places that Pete saw at his school.
  3. Have students name some people and places Pete might see if he went to their school
  4. Show students pictures of people who work at your school (Note: The school website, if available would be a great resource to utilize).
  5. Ask them to name the people as you show their pictures. (Note: It is ok, if they do not know all of the individuals, just tell them the accurate name).
  6. As students name the individuals, write the names on the board or a chart.
  7. Ask students what all of these people have in common..(They all work at our school. They all help the school to function)

Model

1. Tell students that we are going to make a book about our school and the people and places you will find.
  2. Tell students that in order to find out about the people at our school we will need to talk to them.
  3. Model interviewing. Show the students Worksheet 1- Interview Form. Read the questions to the students. Have a student come forward, introduce yourself, explain the book and ask them the following questions:

- What is your name?

- What is your job at school?

- Where can we find you at school?

- What is your favorite part of your job?

As you ask the questions, record the answers on the board or chart paper.

4.  Take any questions from the students about the interviewing process.

5.   Assign or allow students to pick the individuals to interview.

Practice

1. Students will need to go out on the campus to interview individuals. It is suggested that appointments be made with them, so that the interviews can take place at an appropriate time. (This may need to be done over a period of a few days in order to accommodate all interviews.)  Note: If teaching this lesson to kindergarten or first students, it is reccomended that an adult accompany them on their interviews. The adult may also record the information for the students if their writing skills prohibit the taking of accurate notes.
  2. During interviews, students may also take a picture of the individual if a digital camera is available.  (If using a digital camera, please print all pictures before step 4).
  3. Once all interviews have been conducted, have students sit in a circle and share who  they interviewed and what they do.
  4. Students will then work on creating their page. Model a page about yourself for the students to see what is expected. (See Sample 1)
  5. Give students Worksheet 2- Book Page. Allow students about an hour to complete the assignment. Again, if writing ability is limited, an adult may write the facts for the child.

Final Product

1. When students are done, they should complete a museum walk of the completed pages. Students will put their papers on their desks and everyone will walk around silently observing the "artwork."
  2. When students have completed the museum walk, have them share compliments about things they saw.
  3. Assemble all pages into a class book for everyone to see!

Assessment

1. Students will be assessed according to Rubric 1

Supplies:

Supply List

• Pete the Cat Rocking in His School Shoes by, Eric Litman and James Dean.
  • Pictures of school faculty and staff.
  • Copies of Worksheet 1- Interview Form (1 per pair or team)
  • Clipboard for interviewers
  • Pencils
  • Copy of Sample 1 (for teacher's reference)
  • Copies of Worksheet 2- Book Page (1 per pair or team)
  • Digital camera (optional)
  • Crayons
  • Whiteboard or chart paper

Bibliographic or other resources you used in creating this curriculum:

Litwin, Eric., and James Dean. Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes. Array New York: HarperCollins, 2011.

Keywords:

school community

Attachments: